Sunday 19 February 2012

Skating On Thin Ice



My next post may be coming to you from a hospital bed. Why? You ask. Well I bought myself a pair of ice skates, and this afternoon I am going to try and ice skate for the first time in about 9 years. I was never very good 9 years ago and then I had my two incidences involving ice, both of which led to hospital visits, stitches and surgeries. So with that track record why am I attempting this? Well, I live in Canada, I have young children and I want to be able to do the whole embracing of winter sports thing with them. I want to be able to skate on the outdoor rinks and sip hot chocolate afterwards to warm up. I don't want to be the parent standing on the side watching and wishing they were finished already so we can go home and be warm. Maybe I will be the parent on the ice wishing we could go home and get warm, but I have to try.

I got a nice pair of skates, they are the more comfortable recreation skates, along with an easy lace up dial that you turn. Anything to make my life a little easier! They are super quick to put on, something I need as the kids are always eager to go once I have them laced up, so if I have to spend 5 minutes lacing my own boots I will be ready to get back in the car before they are done.

Am I scared about doing this? Yes, I am terrified of setting foot on the ice. I am convinced I will land on my ass and embarrass myself in front of my friends, but if I do I will live. At least I hope I will live, I really don't need any more scars, they may be sexy on a guy, but I have my fill and already have to use makeup to cover some up.

I will warn the kids to stay away from me while I attempt this, as anyone near me is fair game to be thrown down under me to soften my landing, they are wearing helmets and can take the knock. Maybe I need to look for a really well padded hat? Maybe I just need to look for sanity!  Regardless if you don't hear from me for a while send flowers to the local hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment