Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentines Day


Maybe I am just bitter and jaded?  But seriously is it not just a bunch of over hyped bullshit?  A special day to tell everyone in our lives how much we love them?  I could even get behind maybe just telling your spouse (ha, that sounds like I want to tell your spouse not mine - somedays that's probably true) that you love them, but why do we need to treat our kids? I tell them I love them every day, I don't need to give them a card or make them a special breakfast just because its valentines day.  Was it not enough that I helped the kids put together cards for all their class so that they were not the social outcasts?  I fed them breakfast, not a special one, just cereal, I kissed them when I dropped them off at school and told them to have a good day.

I don't want candy or flowers, or even a card, does that make me strange?  Why spend money on a card or overpriced flowers just because today is the day you are "supposed" to?  I would far rather get flowers as a surprise on another day of the year, just because DH thought "hey lets get the old hag something so she will put out tonight."  It would mean so much more.

I remember being a teenager, hoping for the valentines cards, that was about the only time I enjoyed it, but even then it was not like I got a whole slew of cards.  Then I met DH, I think I got a card for the 1st few years and we did go out to dinner.

My main problem is DH's birthday is tomorrow, the day after valentines day, and I would rather go out and make his birthday special than on some over popularized holiday crap.  And I am not going out two nights in a row, so ultimately we don't end up doing much.

I am feeling frustrated like I want to punch someone, my heart is racing, maybe its all the love out there,  maybe I have eaten too many of those heart shaped chocolates....well they were on sale.
Anyway its nearly dinner time, DH just phoned to say lets at least cook something nice for dinner tonight, bah humbug! I told him to stop at the store on the way home then and buy something.  The kids are getting pasta, and I'll probably put out tonight anyway even without flowers and a card.



2 comments:

  1. TOTALLY agree with you!!! My hubby is out playing poker tonight and I am ok with that!!!

    ReplyDelete