Monday 23 January 2012

Winter!!



I am over it!  In a perfect world we would have 4 distinct seasons. South Africa never had this, it was summer all year, just some of it was humid and some was cooler at night..  Ok, Canada has this part right.   I love the crispness of fall, the cooler nights, the leaves changing colour.  I love the 1st snowfall of winter, the 1st frost. (notice how I said the 1st snowfall and stopped after that?) The warmer days of the spring, the flowers peeking through and the grass turning green.  The heat of summer, time on the beach and in the pool.  However, in my hypothetical perfect world  for winter, we would have ton of snow for about 3 weeks, one week before Christmas, and the two weeks after it.  After this spring needs to start.
I am tired of being cold, I want the kids outside playing.  I want to be able to BBQ my steak without running back inside to warm up in between turning it.
The only thing I don't mind is being able to wear a hat. at least it hides the fact that I often don't have time to do a lot with my hair.
Image by: ank0ku

The funny thing is, this winter seems to have gone really quickly, so why am I already over it?  I mean we are already nearing the end of January. In some ways I think it feels like it never really started,  I think this is due to the fact that we have had very little snow, and to be honest (I cant believe I am admitting this), I actually miss the snow, the kids miss being able to go sledding, I even miss shoveling the driveway, at least it got me out the house.  I have reached a point where it is just cold and blah outside now, and I think thats  worse than blue sky, sunshine and crisp white snow.  I don't even want to take the monster dog out for her evening walks. 

The kids are getting cabin fever, the monster dog can only eat so many mitts, (or can she?  The vet said she is getting fat, so no more mitts for her!). I have a feeling the kids are feeding her their food when I am not looking!  Yes Mom we loved those brussel sprouts!  Can we have some more?  What's not right about that picture?  Ok those of you who know me will call me on that one, you know that even I would feed the dog my brussel sprouts, I have never met one I liked.  So I sure as hell would not be feeding my kids them! 

We did take the kids ice skating yesterday afternoon, so at least that got me out and into an arena, I even had the urge to pull out my skates and try and reteach myself, but my luck on ice is not good, and I was not really in the mood for another ambulance ride, so I held off. 

The last two run ins with ice involved:
 1. A curling attempt (a weird Canadian sport like bowling on ice), which landed me in hospital with a severed temporal artery and 7 stitches in my head. (I blame the green beer for st Patrick's day for this one.)
2. A patch of ice in the kids daycare centre which left me with a broken leg, a dislocated ankle and two surgeries later, a couple of pins and screws in my leg. (I promise there was no alcohol involved in this one!)
I'm just not sure I'm ready for another hospital trip yet, so maybe I guess I'll stay off the ice for now.  On the other hand it may make winter come to an end faster!

Today it's raining and grey again, I really need to get off my butt and run, with being sick with the cold from hell  for the last two weeks I have done nothing.  If I keep this up I will be walking my 1st 5k race in April! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love it, thanks for commenting on my blog as it sent me over to yours. I can't believe that people actually Curl (is that how it is referred to). And I live in New England so I hear ya about the seasons, they can get all screwed up. Can't wait to read more and happy to be your newest follower. Hope you will follow me too so I can continue to give you a laugh ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have definitely subscribed to get your blog updates on my newsreader! Loved them!

      Delete